Sunday, January 13, 2008

Current update

Wow! It has been a crazy two weeks! We completed our application to the adoption agency we are working with, received our confirmation that we were accepted and received our contract. We completed the contract last Thursday and had it notarized (I feel sorry for poor Betty in Crookston who got stuck with notarizing a zillion forms) and mailed it back to the agency with their agency fee. Friday we received confirmation they had received our contract and then the paperwork began!

Part of this process is obtaining 4 certified copies each of our birth certificates, marriage certificate, and previous divorce decrees. Seems like an easy task, right? How about NO! Jim's part was easy, just had to place a call to Kenny at the recorder's office and he'll have them ready for Robbin to pick up on Tuesday. I guess that's the great thing about being born in TRF! Anyway, since Robbin was born in Mississippi, this requires using VitalChek to order her certificates at a ghastly cost. So, I log in to Vital Chek and they don't like my new name. Then it asked me to fax them a copy of my drivers license. Not a problem right? Well yes, it was a problem because the scanner I've had has decided to die, so I have no way to send them a fax copy right away. So, I'll have to start all over with that Monday. As most of you who are reading this know, Robbin was married at a young age in Hamilton, MT. So, I called Ravalli Co. Clerk of Courts to order a copy of my divorce decree. Guess What???? I don't even remember anymore the date or the year I divorced, let alone when I married back then. I have nothing at home anymore to even research it. Well, at least they were nice. They told me if I could give them a date range I could request this from them in writing for a fee as long as I give them a date range. So, this is another brick wall I'm up against right now. I hope the date range I gave them is correct. Along with all that, we need letters from our doctors that we are not insane, have AIDS, or any other kind of deadly diseases. This is easy for Robbin since she sees her internal medicine doctor regularly. However, Jim has not seen a doctor in well over ten years, so he's in need of a physical in order to obtain a letter from his doctor. He's gone ice fishing right now, so I'm sure he'll be real impressed when I tell him. With him pushing 40, it's time anyway.

We are waiting for our package to arrive from the agency and should have it Monday or Tuesday next week. This will have another stack of paperwork to complete. Our home study social worker also has a stack for us to complete, so Robbin will be very busy over the next few months. This is all such a "hurry up and wait" process.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you are doing this blog of your progress not only for yourselves and your future son but the rest of our family. What a joy it will be to have a little one in the family again. He will be a very loved little boy from his Auntie Nell.

Love you two! Janell